Financial Support for Further Education

Further education (FE) includes any study after secondary education that’s not part of higher education (that is, not taken as part of an undergraduate or graduate degree).

Courses range from basic English and maths to Higher National Diplomas (HNDs).

FE also includes 3 types of technical and applied qualifications for 16 to 19-year-olds:

  • Level 3 tech levels to specialise in a specific technical job
  • Level 2 technical certificates help get employment or progress to another tech level
  • Applied general qualifications to continue general education at advanced level through applied learning


Many courses in reading, writing and basic maths are free, and you may not have to pay for tuition if you’re under 24 and studying for your first qualification equivalent to GCSE or A level.

Financial help

You may be able to get help with the costs of your course, your day-to-day living costs and with childcare.

Depending on your circumstances and the subject you’re studying, you may qualify for:

Funding if you’re on benefits

You can get free training if you’re unemployed and:

Your Jobcentre work coach will tell you what training you can do.

If you’re claiming other benefits or can’t get free training through your job centre, you may be able to get funding from colleges and training providers.


Additional Possibilities :

- If you're trying to get into a job, training or education, but lack the funds, see if you're eligible for a Prince's Trust Development Award.

- Turn2Us is a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations.

- Grants for Individuals is a website that contains details of over 3,500 trusts operating both nationally and locally. These trusts collectively have £362 million available each year.

- Council for International Education gives help and advice to prospective students from overseas. The site includes details of charitable trusts which give support international students, as well as links to other useful sites, such as the British Council.

RDInfo  is a comprehensive digest of health-related research funding and training opportunities. Includes information on charitable trusts as well as other funding bodies and travel awards.

The Charities Register is maintained from information supplied by charities and provides key facts and figures about their work and finances.

The Queen's Nursing Institute  provides financial Assistance for Nurses.

Citizens Advice Bureau
Local Citizens Advice Bureaux provide free, confidential and impartial advice on every subject. They provide advice and information; advocacy and negotiation; and representation. They can help with most debt problems; benefit entitlement; housing and employment issues. You can find the location of your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau from your local library or in your local telephone directory.

Source :